I joined Canadian Brass 10 years ago this week — in August 2009. I was only 24, and even as someone with big goals, I never thought I’d be touring the world many times over for a decade with the group I grew up listening to. I was young, single, and dedicated all of my energy towards the group ever since.
So today seems to be a good day to tell you that I am leaving Canadian Brass (I have just 2 more concerts, one in September and one in October).
The desire to prioritize my wife and 2 young boys (one is just 5 weeks old and the other 21 months) was a major factor, as well as the decision to allot more time to my trumpet studio at Ithaca College.
That said, helping others become better at what they love has become one of my biggest passions, and I have some big projects in the works. A decade of working with the best has taught me so much about performing, trumpet, recording, marketing and arranging. I also have music in my head that I’ve been putting off for too long.
Of course, Canadian Brass operates as a family, and so leaving is never forever. Brandon and I will be essentially reversing roles; he was always there to replace me when needed, and now I will be similarly available when he needs me. I am wishing my friends & colleagues in the Brass continued success and hope that a decade of my contributions and involvement have helped ensure the esteemed position the ensemble enjoys amongst its fans and professional relationships.
Today was just a 10 year anniversary announcement, but I wanted to let you know there are exciting things to come.
I look forward to seeing you, please come say hi!
For my own reference, I’ve listed many of the Canadian Brass projects that defined my life while we were working on them. I am likely missing some, and there may just be more still in the making (wink wink), so stay tuned for updates 🙂
Canadian Brass Albums and Singles
- Perfect Landing (2015) ODEG
- Great Wall of China (2014) ODEG
- Christmas Time Is Here (2013) Steinway/ODEG
- Carnaval: Music of Robert Schumann (2013) ODEG
- Takes Flight (2012) Steinway/ODEG
- Bad Romance (Brass Romance) (2012) Steinway/ODEG – single
- Viva la Vida (2011) ODEG – single
- Brahms on Brass (2011) ODEG
- Stars & Stripes: Canadian Brass Salute America (2010) ODEG – with members of NEXUS
- Echo: Glory of Gabrieli (2009) ODEG
Published Canadian Brass Arrangements and Compositions
- Bach’s Bells (by Chris Coletti)
- Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring (Bach/arr. Coletti)
- Song of the Guerrillas (arr. Coletti)
- 16 Waltzes, Op. 39 (Brahms/arr. Coletti)
- Muy Linda (Holborne/arr. Coletti)
- America the Beautiful (Ward/arr. Coletti
- Carmen Suite for Brass Quintet and Concert Band (Bizet/Mills/Coletti)
- Musette En Rondeau from Les Fetes D’Hebe (Rameau/arr. Coletti)
- Traumerei from Kinderszenen (Schumann/arr. Coletti)
- Toreador Song for Brass Quintet and Concert Band (Bizet/Mills/Coletti)
- Mo Li Hua “Jasmine Flower” (arr. Coletti)
- The Sunken Cathedral (Debussy/arr. Coletti)
- My Country Tis of Thee (arr. Coletti)